TLC BLOOD TEST
WHAT IS THE TLC BLOOD TEST?
The Total Leukocyte Count (TLC) blood test is used to determine the number of white blood cells in the body. The main role of leukocytes (white blood cells) is to protect the body against infectious diseases and foreign invaders.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF WHITE BLOOD CELLS
Lymphocytes protect the body from bacterial and viral infections.
Neutrophils help heal damaged tissues and fight bacteria and fungi.
Basophils help your body fight allergies and also prevents the blood from clotting.
Eosinophils kill parasites and cancer cells. They also help in fighting allergies.
Monocytes defend the body against viral, bacterial, fungal and protozoa infections. They are also responsible for fighting cancer cells and removing dead tissues in the body.
WHY IS A TLC BLOOD TEST DONE?
Your doctor may order a TLC blood test to:
- Diagnose and differentiate between chronic and acute infections
- Diagnose some types of cancer such as leukemia
- Diagnose an immune system disorder
- Check out the effects of chemotherapy
- Identify allergic reactions in the body
HOW IS THE PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
TLC blood test is performed just like any standard blood test. The doctor will take your blood sample and TLC is estimated either through a microscope or a hemocytometer.
PREPARING FOR A TLC BLOOD TEST
There is no need to take any precautions before undergoing a TLC blood test, however remember to inform your doctor about any medications that you are taking as they might affect the test results.
TLC BLOOD TEST NORMAL RANGE
The normal range for TLC is between 4,000 and 11,000 cells per cubic millimeter of blood.
CAUSES OF HIGH OR LOW TLC COUNT
- High TLC count may be due to a number of reasons including allergies, cancer, bacterial or viral infections, rheumatoid arthritis, and tuberculosis
- Low TLC count may be caused by viral infections that prevent the production of WBC, anemia, vitamin deficiency, rheumatoid arthritis, dengue, and typhoid
TLC BLOOD TEST AT MANHATTAN MEDICAL ARTS
Manhattan Medical Arts uses the latest technology for blood tests and other tests. If you would like a consultation with one of our Board Certified Physicians, please call Manhattan Medical Arts at 645-454-9000. We believe in providing accessible, cost-effective and efficient care that meets the expectations of our clients and strive to maintain the highest standards of safe and quality health care in all our facilities, for all our patients.